Matagorda Advocate

 

Mission Statement

  • We are our market’s dominant provider of relevant and compelling content.
  • We delivery timely and accurate information to consumers, and we deliver targeted audiences to advertisers across multiple mediums.
  • We value honesty, fairness, respectfulness, and service to our community.

The Victoria Advocate is 165 years old, Texas' second oldest newspaper. We're an independent regional media company and the area’s premier information and advertising source.

Our circulation Monday through Saturday is 33,606. On Sundays, it’s 31,894. We average 2.9 readers per copy during the week, which totals 88,757 readers. On Sundays, we average 3.3 readers per copy, or 105,237 readers. 1

A research study by Frank N. Magid Associates Publishing Division (formerly MORI Research) indicates that Victoria area residents rate Advocate Media as the top source for community news and information and -- by the largest margin -- for local advertising and shopping information.

The inaugural edition of the Advocate was printed May 8, 1846. An extra edition was published that day to inform local citizens of the battle of Palo Alto, the first battle in the Mexican War. The Advocate was first delivered by horseback to points such as Gonzales, New Braunsfels, and San Antonio. Later it was sent by stagecoach when Victoria became the headquarters for three stagecoach lines.

The newspaper's first publishers were Thomas Sterne and John David Logan. Both experienced newspapermen, they changed the name of the paper in its first year from “Texan Advocate” to "Texian Advocate" in response to requests from Texas pioneers. Sterne and Logan sold the newspaper in 1853.

Later editors and publishers included Sam Addison White, Victor Marion Rose, Frank R. Pridham, Edward Daniel Linn, John L. Bartow, Louis Nicholas Hofer, and James McDonald. It was during White's ownership that the newspaper was named the "Victoria Advocate" between 1859 and 1861. McDonald introduced the "Daily Advocate" in 1897. Both daily and weekly editions were published until 1943. In 1901, after 55 years and nine owners, George H. French acquired the paper and operated it for 41 years.

Morris Roberts and a number of leading citizens purchased the paper in October 1942. In April 1961, Roberts purchased all stock and became sole owner of the Advocate. He shared ownership with his son, John M. Roberts, who serves as president and daughter Catherine R. McHaney, who is secretary-treasurer. Family members Dan Easton and Stephen McHaney currently serve as co-publishers.

The Advocate has missed publication only a few times because of fires in 1876 and 1892, and the Civil War, when it could not publish due to lack of newsprint.

The Advocate's Web site, VictoriaAdvocate.com, was established in 1999.

The Advocate is located at 311 East Constitution Street in downtown Victoria, where it has been since 1949.

Readers-per-copy figures provided in the Frank N. Magid Associates Publishing Division (formerly MORI Research) 2010 Audience Survey. Circulation figures provided by Audit Bureau of Circulations Audit of Victoria Newspaper for 24 months ended September 30, 2010.

MatagordaAdvocate.com